This blog belongs to Owen who is 11 years old. He moved to Grenada in September 2014 with us, his family, while I volunteer with Cuso International. He is sharing his thoughts about moving to a foreign country, living in the Caribbean and how it is to come home after ten months away.




Saturday 27 September 2014

New Foods, new flavours

1. Breadfruit, is yummy when it is cut up and made like French fries. I know because my mommy made some for us. We also tried it mashed, I didn't like it. It didn't taste very good.  I am still going to try it some other ways.

2. Roti is slow roasted chicken with potatoes (bread fruit) and lots of spices in a flat bread. Rolled up like a fajita. I had it the first day we arrived and I really liked it.

Roti
3. Jamaican patties. It is pastry stuffed with ground beef or chicken. It has either hot or mild spices. It is so good. I bought it at school. I ate it before I got to the classroom. It was $5 ECD.

4.Genups are small fruit that are sold at the side of the road. They are about $1 for a bunch. I don't love them but Aiden does.

5. Chinese plum's are another small fruit I tried and don't like either.

6. Rock Figs are a tiny banana.

7. Avocado, which I didn't like  but will try again.

8. Curries noodle dish. My mom makes this it is my favourite dish here.

Chinese plums



Genups




The fruit

The pit (not much fruit on it huh?)
 

My dad is trying to cook new things for us with local foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment