This blog belongs to Owen who is 11 years old. He moved to Grenada in September 2014 with us, his family, while I volunteer with Cuso International. He is sharing his thoughts about moving to a foreign country, living in the Caribbean and how it is to come home after ten months away.




Sunday 22 March 2015

Birthday Boy

This Friday is my birthday. I am going to be 11 years old. I am going to be the last one in my family to have a birthday in Grenada.

I am not going to school on my birthday, because we don't learn anything at school the week before school is over. In Grenada "March Break" is for two weeks instead of one and it is an Easter Holiday instead of a March Break. Our break starts the Monday after my aunt arrives!

For my birthday we are going to go to eat at the Dodgy Dock. After dinner we are going to go listen to music at Le Phare Bleu.

My birthday will be different than back home because I will not get any presents. We don't do presents here because they would be hard to bring home, and because it is expensive to give gifts.

I am looking forward to my birthday even though I am not getting presents. An awesome present is that 2 days after my birthday my aunt Ceilidh arrives!

2 comments:

  1. Owen, birthdays will come and go but you will always remember your birthday in Grenada. As we get older, we discover that experiences are more important than "stuff". This is your year to find out if that is true. Have a very Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owen,
    We are so glad to hear that you had a wonderful birthday in Grenada! We can't believe that you are 11 already!! From all of your friends at Goodwin Learning Centre.

    ReplyDelete