This blog belongs to Owen who is 11 years old. He moved to Grenada in September 2014 with us, his family, while I volunteer with Cuso International. He is sharing his thoughts about moving to a foreign country, living in the Caribbean and how it is to come home after ten months away.




Monday 30 June 2014

Blood work is no fun!


This week I had to get blood work done to see what my blood type is. I got it done at the doctor’s office. It was a nurse who took my blood sample.

The first time I was really scared. I was crying and panicky. I was really nervous. On a scale of 1 to 10 I was 100. I was so nervous my veins shut down. When she tried to take the blood the first time no blood came out.

Then I freaked out because I had let them try and it didn’t work, and I didn’t want to do it again. But I had to. To help the nurse put on some cream numb my arm. Another nurse came in and got a heating bag. While we waited my mom had me try to breathe slowly.

The second needle didn’t take as long because I was more relaxed. When you are relaxed your blood flows better.

I did not enjoy the experience at all, but I am curious what my blood type is!

No comments:

Post a Comment