This blog belongs to Owen who is 11 years old. He moved to Grenada in September 2014 with us, his family, while I volunteer with Cuso International. He is sharing his thoughts about moving to a foreign country, living in the Caribbean and how it is to come home after ten months away.




Sunday 1 June 2014

When is a cow not an animal?


Do you think you know what a cow is? In Grenada it is not what you think it is! A cow is a fruit and staple of Grenadian’s diet.
Cow Fruit
My favourite Canadian foods are pizza, bacon, poutine, cheese and water melon. For breakfast I am used to having cereal or sometimes eggs. Lunch is a bagel, crackers, cheese and fresh fruit. Dinner is pasta, Sheppard’s pie, or meat and potatoes. I don’t think this will be what I eat in Grenada. I think I’ll have to eat more stuff I don’t like. 
Jamoon
 
I think I will eat eggs, this because eggs are not expensive ($1.40 for 16 eggs). Fruits and vegetables but not the ones we are used to like jamoon, kusu and noni! There won’t be any meat or not a lot. My dad is going to try to catch us dinner which would be fish. There are many different types of fish.  I am a bit worried about what I am going to eat because I can be a picky eater. I am hoping there will be lots of rice and pasta but I don’t know if there will be.
Noni
I know that food will be very expensive unless we buy it at a farmers market. There is an IGA but the prices are between 2-4 times higher than in Canada. So a box of cereal would be $16!! No more cereal for breakfast.
Kusu
I think I will come back thinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment